Welcome to Year 4
In Year 4 our teachers are Mr Ayers (Nightingales), Mrs Lawson-King (Finches) and Miss Wilson (Larks). We are supported by Teaching Assistants Mrs Powell, Mrs Wooldridge and Mrs Benton. Miss Swallow is the Year 3 & 4 Phase Leader.
WELL DONE AWARD
Friday 8th November 2019
This weeks Awards go to:
Nightingales - Elin
Finches - Peter
Larks - Holly
FOR IMPORTANT DATES PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE CALENDAR
CURRICULUM EVENING 2019
Please click here to view the Curriculum Evening Presentation.
Please click here to view the Curriculum Overview for Year 4.
During our topic on the Vikings, we will focus on everyday Viking life, invasions and Viking Kings. We will also explore British Anglo-Saxon settlements using local geography. In addition, we will identify the achievements of different civilisations during the period alongside their impact today. In English lessons, we will be looking at Viking myths and the book 'How To Train A Dragon.' by Cressida Cowell.
We started the year using ‘Under the Same Sky’ as our stimulus for writing. The children have created poems based on this book and the theme of unity. We will be moving on to Viking myths and legends to inspire our writing for this term.
To access another useful Year 4 reading list, click here.
- Number – place value and partitioning.
- Addition and subtraction strategies.
- Multiplication and division strategies.
- Solving problems using 4 operations.
We will also be regularly practising mental arithmetic skills to improve children’s fluency and speed of recall.
The children will be set homework weekly using the website MyMaths and this will be recorded in their yellow homework books.
During the autumn term our learning in Science will focus on the following:
- Basic circuits including bulbs, batteries, switches and buzzers.
- Scientific drawings.
- Safety aspects of electricity.
- How we use electricity in our homes.
- Study the work of Thomas Edison and the impact he has had on our lives today.
SPELLINGS AND READING
For the first half of the term, every child will be revisting previously taught spelling patterns to consolidate their learning. Following on from this, we will complete five spelling sessions a week with the children using the Read Write Inc spelling scheme. Taught spellings will alternate between Read Write Inc spelling units and the Year 3/4 words.
Spelling lists will be sent home weekly and the children will be tested on these at the end of each week.
Please click here to view the Year 3-4 Word/Spelling List.
In KS2 we hold a spelling competition between the classes to see who can get their hands on the spelling trophy. During certain weeks of the year, the children will be tested on words from the Year 3/4 word list. Their class teacher will then collect in the scores and work out a class percentage for the amount they get correct. The winning class will receive the spelling trophy! Please support your child by reviewing these spellings at home in time for the test.
To see the timetable and words to learn click here.
All children in Year 4 have been given a combined reading record and homework book. We ask for all children to read at home a minimum of three times a week. This reading can be independent or aloud with an adult and recorded into reading records using the page number. Children may do this themselves if they feel confident.
If a child has not completed 3 reading sessions during the week, we will ask them to attend an additional reading session during Monday break time.
Indoor PE - Tuesdays
Outdoor PE - Wednesdays
Please can you ensure that your child has their full PE kit in school for these days as well as long hair tied back. For safety reasons, jewellery is not to be worn during PE lessons, therefore could you please ensure your child is able to remove it independently before the lesson or have it removed before coming into school.
MINDFULNESS AND WELLBEING
A part of Hagley Primary School's values include children's emotional wellbeing. Within our classes, we will be giving children regular opportunities to practise the techniques of mindfulness and discussing how this can improve concentration, focus and boost confidence. This compliments our Growth Mindset approach which we have already established within the school.
Home Learning will be recorded by children in their Homework Diary each week. Children will be set maths homework on 'My Maths', spellings to practise and times tables to learn on 'Times Table Rockstars'. This is in addition to reading at home at least three times each week. Please see your child's class teacher if you cannot access these sites.
THINGS YOU COULD DO AT HOME TO HELP YOUR CHILD
- Read with your child as much as possible (ideally daily but 3 times minimum) as this helps with their fluency and understanding of texts, as well as helps to increase their imagination for their own writing. Children will be bringing home reading records to sign and date to show how frequently they have read during the week.
- Rehearse spelling patterns - spelling patterns have been sent home with your child. These will be assessed weekly alongside a selection of words from the Year 3/4 curriculum word list.
- Practise times tables. At the end of Year 4, children are expected to be able to recall times tables up to 12x12. In school, children practise times tables using Times Tables Rock Stars five times each week. This programme is also available to access at home and we encourage the children to do so as often as possible.
Please check that your child has an apron or an art shirt in their bags for messy activities in school.