Welcome to Year 6
In Year 6 our teachers are Mrs Link - (Eagles); Mrs Tobin - (Ospreys); Mr Hill - (Hawks). We also have Mrs Hunt working in Year 6 teaching maths. We are supported by Mrs Simpson, Mrs Hicks and Mrs Bruce.
WELL DONE AWARD
Friday 10th May 2019
This weeks Awards go to:
Hawks - Grace
Eagles - Joshua E
Ospreys - Lily
FOR IMPORTANT DATES PLEASE SEE THE WEBSITE CALENDAR.
HOME LEARNING TASKS:
Year 6 Home Learning in Maths and English will be set on a Thursday and will need to be handed in by the following Wednesday. Home learning tasks will review, reinforce or extend class learning of each week or will be revision and practise of skills in preparation for SATs.
Spellings – Your child will be given a spelling home learning overview which includes the words that we will be focusing on. It would be very helpful if you could spend 10 or 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a week to focus on these words.
This term we will use a range of exciting texts such as Harry Potter and Holes to cover further aspects the National Curriculum through topics including Magic and Environments. In reading, we will continue develop skills of inference and deduction and develop full answers for comprehension questions. In writing, we will focus on teaching punctuation and grammar concepts and ways to apply them in our own writing. We will be writing a formal letter, newspaper recount, short story, diary entry and a non-chronological report.
We will continue to follow the Read Write Inc. spelling scheme which involves the children practicing a set spelling rule in a range of activities. In addition, we will continue to focus on the years 3, 4, 5 and 6 common exception words.
How you can help at home:
* Regular reading – at least three times per week. This could be your child reading to you or to themselves. Discussing what your child has read, making connections with similar texts, discussing preferences and predictions will all support your child in preparation for reading comprehension tests. Please sign regularly in the reading diary that your child is reading and recording this at home. Reading diaries should be brought into school every day.
* Spellings – take opportunities to discuss spelling patterns, common errors and definitions of words they come across in their reading or in daily life. Please see the spelling home learning sheet for further support.
In maths this term we will be focusing on the following areas:
* Fractions/ decimals
* Geometry and statistics
We will continue to focus on the ability to calculate mentally and at speed, including times tables. We hope that you will be able to support your child in every day mathematical opportunities and by learning and revising their multiplication and division tables to 12 x 12.
How you can help at home:
* Encourage them to practise rapid recall of timetables and related division facts [for example using Times Table Rock Stars].
* Playing games e.g. countdown where children are given a number to make with the four operations.
* Discussing everyday application of maths e.g. weight, money, time, spotting Roman Numerals
* If you have purchased a revision guide, please encourage their use.
A science focussed topic exploring light and how we see. We will also explore skills in art using pencil and paint.
The geography of North and South America including climate and biomes; using and making maps for different purposes. We will explore the link between biomes and the theories of evolution and adaptation. There will be a DT focus on food technology.
Please click here for the curriculum evening presentation.
Please click here for the curriculum overview.
Please click here for Mr Hill's Maths Workshop.
Please click here for Mrs West's Maths Workshop.
Please click here for Mrs Link's Maths Workshop.
Relax Kids SATs Session
Please click here for a copy of the Relax Kids SATs handout
Below are the links for the calendar and exam survival kit: