Welcome to Year 6
In Year 6 our teachers are Mrs Link - (Eagles); Mrs Tobin - (Ospreys); Mr Hill - (Hawks). We also have Mrs Hunt working in Year 6 teaching maths. We are supported by Mrs Simpson, Mrs Hicks and Mrs Bruce.
WELL DONE AWARD
Friday 28th June 2019
Hawks - Millicent
Ospreys - Caroline & Josh G
Eagles - Sam B
FOR IMPORTANT DATES PLEASE SEE THE WEBSITE CALENDAR.
HOME LEARNING TASKS:
For home learning, we will give the children the opportunity to produce or make a piece of work related to our topic (The Titanic) from any area of the curriculum. Your child will receive an information sheet with open-ended tasks/ideas to choose from to encourage creativity. The children will be given a time frame in which to complete their project.
Spellings – We will continue to follow the Read Write Inc. spelling scheme which involves the children practicing a set spelling rule in a range of activities. In addition, we will continue to focus on the years 3, 4, 5 and 6 common exception words.
During the Summer Term, we will be focusing on preparing a series of pieces of writing, ready for assessment, creating many opportunities for your child to demonstrate all the skills they have learnt over the year. The tasks will be linked with our Titanic topic.
There will be a specific focus on spelling, punctuation and grammar within these sessions and their application in writing. As part of our end of year performance, we will be studying play scripts and participating in drama activities.
We will continue to follow the Read Write Inc. spelling scheme which involves the children practicing a set spelling rule in a range of activities. In addition, we will continue to focus on the years 3, 4, 5 and 6 common exception words.
How you can help at home:
* Regular reading – at least three times per week. This could be your child reading to you or to themselves. Discussing what your child has read, making connections with similar texts, discussing preferences and predictions will all support your child in preparation for reading comprehension tests. Please sign regularly in the reading diary that your child is reading and recording this at home. Reading diaries should be brought into school every day.
* Spellings – take opportunities to discuss spelling patterns, common errors and definitions of words they come across in their reading or in daily life. Please see the spelling home learning sheet for further support.
This term, the children will be involved in an enterprise project with a maths focus. The children will have the opportunity to work
to a budget and be responsible for the successful development and implementation of their chosen enterprise idea. There will also be opportunities for cross-curricular mathematics within our topics.
We will continue to focus on the ability to calculate mentally and at speed, including times tables. We hope that you will be able to support your child in every day mathematical opportunities and by learning and revising their multiplication and division tables to 12 x 12.
How you can help at home:
* Encourage them to practise rapid recall of timetables and related division facts [for example using Times Table Rock Stars].
* Playing games e.g. countdown where children are given a number to make with the four operations.
* Discussing everyday application of maths e.g. weight, money, time, spotting Roman Numerals
* If you have purchased a revision guide, please encourage their use.
Our topic this term will be ‘The Titanic’. We will research the lives of the passengers and crew and explore different aspects of the historical period applying our history, geography, art, computing and drama skills.
In science, we will be investigating electricity.
Please click here for the curriculum evening presentation.
Please click here for the curriculum overview.
Please click here for Mr Hill's Maths Workshop.
Please click here for Mrs West's Maths Workshop.
Please click here for Mrs Link's Maths Workshop.
Please click here for a copy of the Relax Kids SATs handout
Below are the links for the calendar and exam survival kit: