Welcome to Year 6
In Year 6 our teachers are Mrs Link - Phase Lead for years 5 and 6 (Eagles); Miss Bowden (Ospreys); Mr Hill (Hawks). We also have Mrs Hunt working in Year 6 teaching maths. We are supported by Mrs Wilcox, Mrs Hicks and Mrs Bruce.
WELL DONE AWARD
Thursday 19 September
Hawks - Doug
Ospreys - Chloe
Eagles - Amelia
FOR IMPORTANT DATES PLEASE SEE THE WEBSITE CALENDAR.
HOME LEARNING TASKS:
For home learning, we will give the children the opportunity to produce or make a piece of work related to our topic (The Titanic) from any area of the curriculum. Your child will receive an information sheet with open-ended tasks/ideas to choose from to encourage creativity. The children will be given a time frame in which to complete their project.
Spellings – We will continue to follow the Read Write Inc. spelling scheme which involves the children practicing a set spelling rule in a range of activities. In addition, we will continue to focus on the years 3, 4, 5 and 6 common exception words.
We will continue to follow the Read Write Inc. spelling scheme which involves the children practicing a set spelling rule in a range of activities. In addition, we will continue to focus on the years 3, 4, 5 and 6 common exception words.
How you can help at home:
* Regular reading – at least three times per week. This could be your child reading to you or to themselves. Discussing what your child has read, making connections with similar texts, discussing preferences and predictions will all support your child in preparation for reading comprehension tests. Please sign regularly in the reading diary that your child is reading and recording this at home. Reading diaries should be brought into school every day.
* Spellings – take opportunities to discuss spelling patterns, common errors and definitions of words they come across in their reading or in daily life. Please see the spelling home learning sheet for further support.
We will continue to focus on the ability to calculate mentally and at speed, including times tables. We hope that you will be able to support your child in every day mathematical opportunities and by learning and revising their multiplication and division tables to 12 x 12.
How you can help at home:
* Encourage them to practise rapid recall of timetables and related division facts [for example using Times Table Rock Stars].
* Playing games e.g. countdown where children are given a number to make with the four operations.
* Discussing everyday application of maths e.g. weight, money, time, spotting Roman Numerals
* If you have purchased a revision guide, please encourage their use.