Forest School at Hagley Primary School
What is Forest School?
Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees. Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and complements the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
At Forest School everyone is viewed as:
- equal, unique and valuable
- competent to explore & discover
- entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge
- entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
- entitled to experience regular success
- entitled to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- entitled to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
At Hagley Primary school we are proud to offer our children a fantastic Forest School experience, within our own school grounds. The benefits of forest school are known to include: physical activity to improve physical health; mindful activities to improve emotional wellbeing; and activities to build confidence and self-esteem. We have developed a superb learning area where we can deliver a high quality programme of Forest School activities under the leadership of our dedicated Forest School Leader.
In addition to these benefits, the sessions will provide links to the curriculum; for example, in Year 1 learning about animal and plant identification, life cycles and the four seasons. English and Maths skills will be embedded as will problem solving and experimentation.