Believe, Achieve, Together We Succeed
Welcome to Year 4's Page
In Year 4 our teachers are
Mrs Bedford (Larks)
Mrs Simpson (Finches)
Miss Hawthorne (Nightingales)
We are supported by teaching assistants Mrs White and Mrs Stone.
Year 4 Curriculum
Year 4 arrival and collection
Children enter through Lych Gate between 8.30am – 8.45am.
Parents collect from front playground and exit through corridor at 3.10pm.
This term we have started with the topic ‘Egyptians’. In this topic, we learn all about where the Egyptians fit into history, Pharaohs specifically Tutankhamun, what the afterlife means to the Egyptians and they explored who built the pyramids and why. The children have the opportunity to be involved in practical activities so they can immerse themselves into their learning.
After half term, our topic changed to ‘Water, Water, Everywhere.’ In this topic, children will learn about features of rivers, the three courses of a river and they will compare UK rivers to the River Nile. Additionally, they will learn the difference between solids, liquids and gases and then apply this knowledge to the water cycle. We will be visiting Bewdley Museum to learn more about rivers which we are all very excited about.
This term, children will be rewriting their own narrative based on the story ‘The time travelling cat’. The children will learn how to use possessive apostrophes, relative clauses and inverted commas. Additionally, children will be writing their own suspense piece thinking about tension, coherence and literary devices.
To access another useful Year 4 reading list, click here.
During the Autumn term we focus heavily on Place Value and Addition and Subtraction. In Year 4, the children are expected to work with numbers up to 10,000. This includes partitioning, ordering and comparing numbers. Times tables are crucial to the maths curriculum, so please continue to practise these at home with your children regularly.
Wednesdays – Indoor PE
Fridays – Outdoor PE
- Gold polo shirt with logo
- Green shorts (football type – not lycra) OR dark coloured tracksuit bottoms (particularly during autumn and winter outdoor sessions)
- Dark green or dark coloured tracksuit jacket
- Trainers (velcro fastening is acceptable for those children who are unable to tie their own laces)
- Optional – dark green skort (shorts and skirt combined)
Please send your child in to school wearing their PE kit on the days that they have PE. For safety reasons, jewellery is not to be worn during PE lessons, therefore could you please ensure your child is able to remove it independently before the lesson or have it removed before coming into school.
In order to minimise the amount of paperwork between school and home, we will trial setting homework on Seesaw. Children will be able to check their Seesaw for information about:
1) Spellings to learn for the week 2) The My Maths activity that has been set 3) The times table to focus on for the week
Children will also be able to use Seesaw as an online reading diary, recording what they have read throughout the week. Children are still expected to read 3 X a week and this will be monitored in school.
Banded reading books will be sent home for those children who are not free readers.
There will be a weekly spelling programme during the term. We teach spellings every morning in a 15 minute session. Taught spellings will alternate between Read Write Inc spelling units and the Year3/4 words.
Please click here to see the spellings for Autumn 1.
Please click here to view the Year 3 and 4 Word/Spelling List.
THINGS YOU COULD DO AT HOME TO HELP YOUR CHILD
- Read with your child as much as possible (ideally daily but 3 times minimum) as this helps with their fluency and understanding of texts, as well as helps to increase their imagination for their own writing.
- Rehearse spelling patterns – spelling patterns have been sent home with your child. These will be assessed weekly alongside a selection of words from the Year 3/4 curriculum word list.
- Practise times tables. At the end of Year 4, children are expected to be able to recall times tables up to 12×12. In school, children practise times tables using Times Tables Rock Stars five times each week. This programme is also available to access at home and we encourage the children to do so as often as possible.
Please check that your child has an apron or an art shirt in their bags for messy activities in school.
Year 4 Curriculum Overview
Please click here for the Year 4 curriculum overview.
Year 3 and 4 Reading Workshop Presentation
Please click here for the Reading workshop presentation.
Well Done Awards
Friday 10th November
OUR WELL DONE AWARDS GO TO:
Larks – Pippa
Finches – Jovan
Nightingales – Eva F